As COVID-19 vaccinations ramp up across the nation and infection rates decline, schools are beginning to fully reopen. Re-entry plans vary widely from state to state, but in New Mexico, schools are preparing to return to in-class instruction by April 5th.
What does this mean for families in New Mexico?
- Students will return to in-person learning at public and charter schools throughout the state.
- The state is analyzing public health data to safely move toward in-person learning for all students.
- All districts and schools across New Mexico are permitted to operate according to a hybrid-model with COVID-safe practices if the county meets NMPED and DOH public health criteria. (Criteria can be found on pages 9-20 of the PED Reentry Guide)
- Face coverings are required for all students and staff except while eating and everyone must always adhere to social distancing.
- The state is actively working to prioritize and distribute COVID-19 vaccines for all New Mexico school staff by March 2021.
- Staff will be screened by a temperature check and review of COVID-19 symptoms on a daily basis.
- For bus transportation, all staff and students must wear face masks and a maximum of two students may sit together on a bus seat.
- Meals will be provided during in-person instruction and remote learning. Students can remove their masks to eat.
Resources and Updates
Some families may be weary or uncertain about the return to school, here are local and national resources for returning to school swiftly and safely:
- PED Reentry District & School Guidance
- PED: All educators to be offered vaccine by end of March: Schools to move rapidly to expand in-person learning
- APS Reentry Plan
- New Mexico Alliance for School-Based Health Care: COVID-19 Information
- CDC: Operating schools during COVID-19: CDC’s Considerations
- CDC: Schools and Child Care Programs
- The White House: Executive Order on Supporting the Reopening and Continuing Operation of Schools and Early Childhood Education Providers
- U.S. Dept. of Education COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Learning and Policy Institute: Resources and Examples: Learning in the time of COVID-19
- PED: Orientación del distrito y la escuela de reingreso
- APS Plan de reentrada
- CDC: Consideraciones de los CDC para el funcionamiento de las escuelas durante la pandemia del COVID-19
- CDC: Escuelas y programas de cuidado infantil
- Departamento de Educación de EE.UU. Manual COVID-19 Volumen 1: Estrategias para reabrir de manera segura las escuelas primarias y secundarias
- UNICEF: Reapertura de las escuelas
- New York Times: ¿Es seguro reabrir las escuelas? 175 expertos de enfermedades pediátricas responden